When working from home, it is imperative to create a separate space that is dedicated to being productive, away from the comforts and distractions of your personal life. One excellent place to set up an office is in your garage. You may find that there is a corner that you could clear out and set up comfortably to work in.
• Clean the space thoroughly before bringing in any office furniture. Get rid of cobwebs, dust and dirt.
• Paint the walls and ceiling a light colour, to brighten things up or possibly just the area you have sectioned off for your office.
• Ensure that you have good lighting. You may need an put a lamp in, if there is not otherwise sufficient lighting.
• Keep yourself comfortable with either a space heater or fan.
• Ensure that you have enough outlets to safely plug in all electrical items.
• Consider a dehumidifier, if necessary.
• If doing a full garage upgrade, insulate the walls.
You can use these tips to do as much or a little of a renovation to carve out your office space, as you want to.
One thing that is so easy to do, is to allow your office to become cluttered and disorderly, when you are extremely busy and short on time. However, it is incredibly important to your mental health and the productivity of your work, that you take the time to organise and sort out your office space. Working in a space that is too busy and cluttered can lead to you misplacing important notes or paperwork or becoming mentally bogged down from the mess.
Quick Tips for Office Organisation
1. One drawer at a time- to help you get more organised, take the time to organise one drawer a day, just to help slowly tackle the clutter.
2. Throw away 3 things- pick three unnecessary things that have found their way into your workspace and throw them out.
3. Keep desktop clear- try keeping your desktop clear of any unnecessary items for one week and just see how much better that makes you feel.
Just doing a few simple things like the tips above can help you better manage the mess and clutter that tends to build up in your home office. By working towards a mess-free work space you will feel more productive and creative.